Moving can be a harrowing experienceMoving can be a harrowing experience
For most people, shifting their luggage and other belongings from one city, town or country to another can be a harrowing experience. It requires careful planning on preparing the house for moving as well as supervision of activities months in advance. Even if the distance is small (for example shifting from one house in the neighborhood to another), the experience of moving still remains the same - it still requires the same amount of planning, packing and ensuring fragile items don't damage.
Tips and ideas for packing
To make the transition easier we have listed out some ideas to help you pack effortlessly and efficiently.
- Commonly used items on top. Place the items you don't use often at the bottom of the box and the ones you use most frequently on the top of the box. That way when you unload, you'll have these items ready for use.
- Know relevant charges. You need to budget your moving expenses and to do that it is essential to know relevant charges beforehand. This will enable you to negotiate expenses too.
- Inflammable items. Items that contain compressed air such as perfume or deodorant cans can be potentially dangerous. Make sure you pack these items carefully and separate from important items. If these start leaking it could cause even a major explosion in the bag you're carrying.
- Small items. To save on storage space and accommodate more in a box try to place small items such as handkerchiefs or underwear in small areas in existing boxes.
- Newspaper and foam. Use as much foam and newspaper as you possibly can, to cushion delicate items such as crockery and fine china. You can use these as layers on existing items or even rolled up to fill in empty spaces and provide added padding effect.
- Mark them. It is essential to mark the boxes with signs such as 'Fragile' or 'Handle with care' or 'To be opened first'. This helps your mover to know exactly which boxes need to be unloaded first and which need care.
- Maintain a checklist. If you're moving from one city to another it is essential to jot down a comprehensive moving checklist of all items even before you start packing. That way it's easier to track items while loading and unloading.
- Know the weather. It's best to get some idea on the weather of the destination you're traveling. That too can help a great deal in your packing. Let's say it's snowing where you're moving to, you'd want to keep your woolens right on top and readily accessible.
- Costly items. Things like jewelry and other expensive items like that Omega watch etc., should be kept in your local bank's vault (if you're moving locally within the same neighborhood). Else keep them very safely in your purse or any luggage that you'll be carrying with you on the flight. That way you don't have to keep worrying about thieves stealing them!